Thursday, June 08, 2006

Where does faith belong in a public forum?

Yesterday's Tallahassee Democrat ran an article about prayer at County Commission Meetings. And Yesterday the St. Pete Times Blog "The Buzz" ran a post on Sen. Rod Smith reaching out to the faith community. Both implied that religion and politicians don't mix.

I disagree. I belief that a ecumenical prayer at the start of a public meeting helps remind everyone that there is something greater then they are, be it God, or be it the citizens that you are trying to represent.

I want to know your thoughts on God, Faith and Public Service. Does the fact that Sen. Rod Smith reached out the faith community somehow make him to conservative to vote for in the primary? DECs are suppose to start each meeting with a prayer and the pledge, some have cut the prayer out of their meeting, Why? I don't know.... But I don't think it is helping the DEC.

Prayer is a good thing. As a young democrat, I am glad that there are still public forums where it is welcome.

3 Comments:

Thure said...

Is Commissioner Grippa really using his blackberry during the invocation?

This is so unbelelievable I will start a new thread to discuss it.

Florizel said...

I have always had mixed emotions about prayer in public places... for instance we switched from prayer, to no prayer, to moments of silence each day while I was going through the school system in Wakulla....

But still, my sister was class historian for her senior clas gave one of two prayers at her graduation ceremony. The sunday before the senior class is strongly encouraged to go to the christian religious ceremony that the school sponsors on school grounds for the seniors and thier family.

I can't ever decide if it is good or bad. This last time, they said things that just made me angry...

and that is where the problem starts, but I understand that they don't mean to offend, and I do think it is good for people to be exposed to religion.

Yogi Chi said...

I agree with Alan that exposure to religion is a good thing. Not just one sect of of one belief, but to a diversity of religions.

But, that won't/can't happen at public meetings. You are usually only exposed to Protestant beliefs. Public meetings/events (gov. sponsored) are not the appropriate forum to practice/teach religious beliefs.

I am all for a moment of silence so one can reflect on who/what is important for themselves. It also allows for others, who are not Protestant, to feel comfortable in their surroundings with their friends and neighbors.