Monday, May 09, 2005

When I think South Park I think Conservative

So the bloggersphere spouts out interesting information, and this was a story that made me question what I believe about late night cartoons. I am entertained by people who have mocked both the left and the right being fully embraced by the right. The cartoonist featured in Bowling for Columbine are now the same cartoonist being used as a model for the conservative movement.

It seems that the Conservative movement has embraced Comedy Central's popular TV show South Park. It seems that Brian Anderson has written a book titled South Park Conservatives: The Revolt against Liberal Media Bias. Here is a description from the think tank that he is associated with:

"It's a behind-the-scenes look at how conservatives- and even iconoclasts who don't consider themselves conservative- are overthrowing the liberal media and political correctness. From the bloggers who demolished Dan Rather, to the Swift Boat veterans who sank John Kerry, to the gleeful anti-political correctness of such comedic send-ups as South Park and Team America, the American media landscape has suffered an earthquake. Conservatives who have fretted about liberal media bias and losing the culture war should take heart, because a new generation of "South Park Conservatives" is changing everything. " Link

I found out about this book on one of my favorite Blogs Catch.com who reported this transcription from From MSNBC's Scarborough Country:

JOE SCARBOROUGH: Why don't we just show a clip of "South Park" to help define what "South Park" conservatives are.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP, "SOUTH PARK")
UNIDENTIFIED ACTRESS: Kids, this is the Costa Rican Capitol Building.
This is where all the leaders of the Costa Rican government make their...
UNIDENTIFIED ACTOR: Oh, my God, it smells out here.
UNIDENTIFIED ACTRESS: All right, that does it. Eric Cartman, you respect other cultures this instant.
UNIDENTIFIED ACTRESS: I wasn't saying anything about their culture.
I was just saying their city smells like ass.
UNIDENTIFIED ACTRESS: Wow. Staying in a place like this really makes you appreciate living in America, huh.
UNIDENTIFIED ACTRESS: You may think that making fun of Third World countries is funny, but let me...
UNIDENTIFIED ACTOR: I don't think it's funny. This place is overcrowded, smelly and poor. That's not funny. That sucks.
(END VIDEO CLIP)

The Scarborough link is to the whole transcript from which the above bit of text comes from. The Catch website also mocks the book with altered covers, pointing out how silly this all is.

I am just really entertained by people embracing the sarcasm of South Park as their true genre of thought. The show that brought us Mr. Slave and The Passion of the Jew is not the show I would choose if I was Rev. Dobson. So next time you are talking with a young conservative, be prepared to reference their cultural model: Eric Cartman.

0 Comments: